Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND)

You can view our latest SEND report for 2016-17 here.....

You can view our latest SEND Policy here.....

A child has special education needs if he or she has a learning difficulty, which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

Lainesmead aims to :

- provide every possible opportunity to develop pupils' full potential
- provide a differentiated and inclusive curriculum that is broad and balanced
- provide appropriate resources and support
- promote good practice for teaching and learning. A key principle being "If a child does not learn in the way we teach him/her then we must teach him/her in the way he he/she learns best"
- work in partnership with parents/carers to liaise on pupil provision, attainment and progress
- access support from external agencies as appropriate ( e.g. speech and Language therapy, Education Psychology, hearing impairment team, ASC outreach, Nyland campus outreach).

Day to day support for all pupils is directed by the class teacher with additional support from Teaching Assistants. Any queries regarding a pupils learning should be directed to the class teacher in the first instance.

Should you have any further queries please contact Mrs A Chapman - Special Educational needs Co-ordinator & Assistant Headteacher via the school office. (Tel 529106) or send an email to Mrs Chapman

Lainesmead SEN Local Offer

Address: South view Avenue, Swindon, SN1 3EA

Website: www.lainesmeadprimaryschool.org.uk

Opening hours: The school day is 8.50am- 3.15pm.
We offer breakfast club from 8.15am and after school club until 5.30pm.

Key person to contact for further information: admin@lainesmeadprimary.co.uk Telephone number: 01793 529106

Age range of children/young people catered for: 4-11 years

Access criteria: School admissions, for children entering Reception to Year 6, are carried out by Swindon Borough Council. The admission of children with Statements/ Education Health Care Plans (EHCP) is managed by Swindon's Special Educational Needs Assessment Team.

Links with other organisations: The school works with a range of other agencies as appropriate to the needs of the child. This includes professionals from Education (e.g. Educational Psychologist), Health (eg. speech and language therapists) and Social care (eg. Children & Families Services).

1 How does the school know if children need extra help?
Children are identified as needing extra help through a variety of ways:
- Liaison with previous school/pre-school
- Information provided by parent/carer
- Concerns raised by teacher regarding behaviour or self-esteem
- Child is progressing at a significantly slower rate than that of their peers starting from the same baseline.

2 How will I be able to raise any concerns I may have?
Talk to us - please speak to your child's class teacher in the first instance, who may direct you to the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) for further information/advice. We pride ourselves on working in partnership with parents/carers maintaining an open and honest dialogue.

3 How will the school support my child?
All pupils benefit from high quality first teaching, differentiated as appropriate. All teachers in Lainesmead have been judged by OFSTED to be good to outstanding. Class teachers plan the curriculum, in consultation with other staff (e.g. other teachers in the year group, SENCo) if necessary. They then deliver it with support from teaching assistants as appropriate. Your child will receive additional support, if necessary, to enable them to work towards their learning goals.

4 How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?
We promote good practice for teaching and learning which benefits all children, not just those who may have a learning difference. The curriculum is planned to ensure that the learning is matched to your child's abilities. This may involve adapting resources and/or content, and varying the level of additional support as appropriate. A key principle being "If a child does not learn in the way we teach him/her then we must teach him/her in the way he/she learns best".

5 How will I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?
You are welcome to make an appointment with your child's class teacher, who can offer you advice and practical ways to help your child at home. The school offers parents 3 meetings per year, to report on pupil progress to date and the next steps in their learning. At these meetings parents/carers are encouraged to share their views and the school may suggest ways in which they can support their child's learning. Written reports will be shared at these meetings and a final annual report is produced at the end of the school year. Additional meetings can be arranged as necessary. A reading log or home/school book may also be used for communication between home and school. If your child has a Statement/EHCP, then a formal Annual Review meeting will take place at least once per year.

6 What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?
We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity. The ethos of the school is to develop a very warm and caring atmosphere where every child feels safe, valued and nurtured. The school teaches children about values and care of themselves and others via the school's PHSE curriculum. All members of staff follow the school's positive behaviour policy which clearly informs children of expectations, rewards and sanctions. Parents/carers are informed of incidents and additional support to pupils and/or parents may be provided where necessary (i.e. school's Pupil Support Advisor, school's Parent Support Advisor). Staff may liaise with external agencies as necessary.
Good attendance is encouraged through an incentive scheme. Attendance and punctuality is regularly monitored and absences are followed up by school staff. Educational welfare officers give support on matters of attendance, if necessary.
Medical needs are discussed with the School Nurse if appropriate, and an individual health care plan may be drawn up in full consultation with parents/carers and pupil.

7 What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school?
The SENCo is a qualified teacher who has years of experience and additional training in many aspects of Special Education Needs (SEN). Teachers and teaching assistants have, or receive training to support SEN children as appropriate. Training needs for all staff are continually monitored and updated as necessary. The school can access a range of support from external agencies. These include: Speech & Language Therapists, Educational Psychologists, and social workers.

8 How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
All pupils are included in aspects of school life as appropriate. The school makes reasonable adjustments to ensure that activities are accessible. A risk assessment is carried out prior to any trips/visitors. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities will be provided in school.

9 How accessible is the setting/school environment?
The ground level of the building is accessible to wheelchairs. Disabled toilet facilities are available. On admission the school asks parents if they require any additional help and aim to make arrangements to support them if required. (E.g. understanding letters, translation, accessibility)

10 How will the setting/school prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school, transfer to a new setting /school or the next stage of education and life?
We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting. Staff may visit a child in their current school prior to transition. There is close liaison with staff at preschool settings and secondary schools for all pupils at transition times. All relevant information is shared between schools to ensure the best possible start for the pupil. In addition to the usual induction programme, additional visits for SEN children may be arranged, if appropriate. We may prepare social stories or visual resources if necessary. If your child has a Statement/EHCP, an annual review meeting may be used as a transition meeting. Specific transition/induction programmes may be put in place e.g. more visits prior to staring, a reduced timetable in the first few weeks at the Headteacher's discretion and in consultation with parents/carers. The school also implements an Early Years induction programme that includes home visits, school story visits, stay and play sessions and parents/carers meetings.

11 How are the setting's/school's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?
The school plans how to allocate resources from the SEN budget to support SEN children to the best of the school's ability from the funds available. If additional funding is required to meet a high level of need, school, in consultation with parents/carers, will apply to the SEN assessment panel from local authority, who will then decide if the pupil meets the criteria for additional funding.

12 How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?
School regularly assesses pupils and reviews their progress, and therefore identifies those at risk of underachievement. As part of a graduated response, teachers may then differentiate the tasks as necessary. If a pupil requires further support short term interventions with a particular focus may be put into place and the impact of these are measured and reviewed. This is discussed by the class teacher, the SENCo and relevant members of the SLT. If there is limited progress further interventions may be offered. At each stage of this support process, parents/carers and pupils are consulted and advice may be sought from other professionals.

13 Who can I contact for further information?
Please contact the school office to discuss joining our school. If your child has special educational needs a meeting may be arranged with the SENCo.
If your child has a Statement of SEN/ Education Health Care Plan you must first contact Swindon Borough's Special Educational Needs Assessment Team (Tel. 463062) to discuss any change of placement.